I love easy recipes. Recipes that don’t suck up the precious hours I have at home in the evenings. This is an easy recipe to throw together IF you have shredded chicken on hand. We always boil large batches of chicken and shred it all in our KitchenAid mixer. We freeze what we don’t use right away and that makes recipes like this one super easy to throw together, even on a weeknight. This is another Whole30-, desperate-for-a-hearty-meal-inspired recipe. It is full of veggies and perfect for the last chilly days left in the season. Make yourself a bowl, add some cornbread on the side, and feel good knowing you are fueling your body with healthy goodness!
We upgraded our cheap blender for the Cadillac of blenders… the Vitamix. I’m not going to lie, we love this baby. It is kind of crazy just how powerful it is. The best part is it makes soups a breeze. It is an investment, but to us, it was worth it!
CHICKEN AND ROASTED VEGGIE SOUP
Prep Time: 15 minutes // Cook Time: 45 minutes
Serving Size: 5-6
12-24 oz. butternut squash, chopped (or one complete butternut squash)
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 cup water
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded)
2-3 handfuls of kale
32 oz chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. paprika
salt and pepper for veggies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Chop carrots, butternut squash, bell pepper, sweet potato, and onion. The key to making this a fast easy recipe is buying pre-chopped veggies. Trader Joe’s and Fresh Thyme both sell pre-chopped butternut squash and onion. It is totally worthy it to me to buy whatever I can pre-chopped to help make weeknight dinners a breeze! Plus, if you have never peeled, cleaned, and chopped a butternut squash, it is quite the task. You will need a very sharp knife, some strong arms, and a lot of time.
- Toss all the chopped veggies on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast veggies until done. Carrots and sweet potatoes should be soft. This should take about 25 minutes.
- Now, wash and prep your tomatoes and toss those into a small baking dish. Roast tomatoes until they are nice and juicy. I just leave them in there as long as the other veggies are in the oven.
- Once veggies are done, take half of the roasted, chopped veggies and all of the tomatoes and blend up in your blender with one cup of water until smooth.
- In a giant stockpot over medium heat, toss in all the roasted veggies, the pureed mixture, chicken broth, spices, and shredded chicken.
- As you warm up the soup, toss in a 2-3 handfuls of kale (again I used pre-chopped, bagged kale from Trader Joe’s). Stir until the soup is warmed through.
- Make sure the kale is cooked and soup is warm. Now, cook up some cornbread and enjoy a giant bowl of this healthy, guilt-free soup.
Tips: Again, pre-chopped veggies and shredded chicken are the key. Those two are timesavers and a great way to make weeknight meals healthy and easy. Vegetable amounts can be adjusted to whatever you have on hand. I rarely actually measure the veggies because this is meant to be a fast, easy meal.